Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument
The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
Site of Battleof Britain London Monument Work in Progress London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument
Battle of Britain London Monument Home    

The Airmen's Stories - S/Ldr. F H Tyson


Frank Hastings Tyson was born in Southport on 14th February 1912 and attended St. Philips School, from where he won a scholarship to King George V School.

Tyson entered the RAF College Cranwell in January 1930 as a Flight Cadet. After graduating in December 1931 with a permanent commission, Tyson joined 29 Squadron at North Weald.

Tyson was posted to 802 (Fleet Fighter) Squadron on 2nd March 1933 based at Hal Far, Malta and at sea on HMS Glorious.



Above: senior officers of 312 Squadron at Duxford in September 1940.

L to R: F/Lt. A Hlobil, S/Ldr. J Ambrus, S/Ldr. FH Tyson, F/Lt. DE Gillam, F/Lt. J Duda



He was supernumerary at RAF Gosport on 22nd August 1935 and on 16th December he joined the staff at 7 FTS Peterborough. On 1st January 1937 Tyson was posted to 603 Squadron, Auxiliary Air Force at Turnhouse as flying instructor and Adjutant. He was posted away to HQ Fighter Command on 1st February 1939 for intelligence duties.

On 30th October Tyson went to Leconfield to form and command 245 Squadron. He was seriously injured in a motor accident three days later.

On recovery Tyson joined the Administrative Staff at HQ Coastal Command on 24th February 1940. On 22nd July he arrived at 5 OTU Aston Down from HQ Coastal Command. After converting to Hurricanes he joined 3 Squadron at Wick on 6th August as supernumerary Squadron Leader.

He was given command of 312 Squadron at Duxford at its formation on 29th August. From 9th September he shared command with S/Ldr. Ambrus. The squadron became operational on 2nd October, being then based at Speke as part of Liverpool's defences. Tyson left the squadron in April 1941 when it became an all-Czech unit.

He was awarded the Czech Military Cross (gazetted 14th April 1942).

In September 1942 Tyson was Deputy Station Commander at Luqa, Malta. His subsequent service is currently undocumented until he retired from the RAF on 14th February 1962 as a Group Captain.

Tyson died on 30th December 1979.

Battle of Britain Monument