Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument
The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
Site of Battleof Britain London Monument Work in Progress London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument
Battle of Britain London Monument Home    

The Airmen's Stories - F/O C W Trevena


Charles Warren Trevena of Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada was born in 1918 and joined 120 Squadron RCAF Auxiliary in December 1936 as an AC2 on general duties. He obtained his Private Pilots Licence in April 1937 and was commissioned in the Auxiliary in July.

Trevena began flying Gypsy Moths, then Tiger Moths and at the summer camp he flew Westland Wapitis.

On 5th June 1939 he began full-time service with 120 Squadron and in September and October carried out advanced flying training at Camp Borden. Trevena joined 2 (Army Co-operation) Squadron at Ottawa on 2nd November.




He sailed from Halifax with the squadron on 15th February 1940.


Above (L to R): F/O H deM Molson, F/O PB Pitcher, F/O PW Lochnan, P/O OJ Peterson, F/O CW Trevena, F/Lt. GR McGregor


After arriving at Old Sarum on the 25th, the squadron was renumbered 110. On 18th August Trevena was posted to 5 OTU Aston Down and after converting to Hurricanes he joined No. 1 (RCAF) Squadron at Northolt on 1st September.

He left the squadron in early March 1941 to be Deputy CO of 403 Squadron, then forming at Baginton. Trevena was posted to Digby on 30th June 1941 to form and command 412 (RCAF) Squadron. The squadron became operational in September but after only three sweeps over France, he was posted away in November and sailed for Canada on 23rd December 1941.

In January 1942 Trevena went to Eastern Air Command RCAF to supervise fighter operations. He took command of 25 (RCAF) Squadron at Sydney, Nova Scotia on 13th May 1942 but having only four Hurricanes he said he no longer wished to command.

Trevena was then sent to BGS Paulson, Manitoba as a staff pilot.

He retired on medical grounds on 9th October 1943 as an Acting Squadron Leader.

He died on 29th July 1998 in Victoria, British Columbia.

Battle of Britain Monument