The Airmen's Stories - Sgt. W J Scott
William Jack Scott was born in Auckland, New Zealand on 19th May 1918. He was serving as a seaman with the Union Steamship Company when he volunteered for aircrew at the outbreak of war.
Scott reported to the Ground Training School at Weraroa on 18th January 1940 and on 9th February moved to the Air Observers School, Ohakea for a Lewis gunnery course and air experience. On 23rd March he sailed for the UK in the SS Akaroa.
On 3rd June Scott was posted to 264 Squadron at Duxford for further training. He was sent for a course to a gunnery school in North Wales and after gaining his air gunner's badge he rejoined 264 Squadron and was promoted to Sergeant on 5th September. Scott was posted away to No. 1 School of Army Co-operation at Old Sarum on 19th October 1940 for a course. After this he joined 268 Squadron, flying in Lysanders from Bury St Edmunds.
In November Scott's aircraft crashed from 300 feet and he sustained a fracture at the base of the spine. After five weeks in hospital he was posted to 256 Squadron, a night-fighter unit, at Pembrey on 8th January 1941.
He was teamed with F/Lt. EC Deanesly and in their Defiant on 3rd May they destroyed a Do17 and a Ju88 and on the 7th shot down a He111 over Manchester. Over the Birmingham area during the night of 10th/11th April 1941 they destroyed a He111, on 3rd/4th May they shot down a Ju88 over Merseyside and also a Do17 which crashed in North Wales. On 7th/8th May they destroyed a He111 over Manchester.
(Above: Deanesly (left) and Scott with their Defiant)
Scott was awarded the DFM (gazetted 29th May 1941) and Deanesly the DFC, which they received from the King in October at Buckingham Palace.
Commissioned in November 1941, Scott was posted away on 11th May 1942 to 17 AGS, Stormy Down as an instructor.
In March 1943 he went to HQ 19 Group, Plymouth for staff duties. Scott moved to HQ RNZAF, London in May and was repatriated to New Zealand in November. He became a gunnery instructor at Ohakea and moved to Rongotai in mid-June 1944. He was transferred to the Reserve on 31st July 1944.
After the war he became a builder and for two years worked on a hospital in the New Hebrides, now Vanuatu, in the south Pacific. Following his return to New Zealand he ran a joinery shop and then a hardware store.
Scott died in March 1999.