The Airmen's Stories - F/O O St.J Pigg
Oswald St.John Pigg was born in March 1918, the son of the Revd. John James Pigg and Mabel Tyson Pigg (nee Riddell).
His father was Chaplain of Durham Prison and the family was accommodated nearby at The Chaplain's House, Whinny Hill, Durham City. They later moved to Chatton in Northumberland.
OS Pigg was educated at the Royal Grammar School, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and joined the RAF on a short service commission and began his initial training on 8th March 1937.
Pigg was posted to 10 FTS Ternhill on 9th May and after completing his training he joined 72 Squadron at Church Fenton on 27th November 1937. He was still serving with the squadron at the outbreak of war.
Over Dunkirk on 2nd June 1940 Pigg destroyed a Ju87. His aircraft was damaged by machine-gun fire from another Stuka and he made a belly landing at Gravesend, slightly wounded in the leg.
On 15th August Pigg claimed a Me110 destroyed.
He was shot down and killed in combat with Me109s on 1st September 1940. His Spitfire, P9458, crashed and burned out on Elvey Farm, Pluckley.
A plaque in his memory was placed at a restaurant on the site in 2012.
Pigg is buried in St. Oswalds Burial Ground, Durham.