Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument
The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
Site of Battleof Britain London Monument Work in Progress London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument
Battle of Britain London Monument Home    

The Airmen's Stories - Adj. G C Perrin


Georges Camille Perrin was born in Huriel on 5th August 1917. He joined the French Air Force as a pupil pilot. He was fully trained at the outbreak of war and was posted to the flying school at Meknes, French Morocco as an instructor and was there when the French campaign ended.

Disobeying orders to remain at the base, Perrin and his colleague, Pierre Blaize, also a future Battle of Britain airman, planned to escape to England. They took the personal aircraft of the base commandant, a Caudron Goeland, and flew it to Gibraltar. They sailed from there on 3rd July in the armed trawler President Houduce, and reached Liverpool on the 13th.



Above and below: Perrin with 615 Squadron.


The French airmen went to RAF St. Athan in late July for assessment, Perrin was then sent to No.1 School of Army Co-operation at Old Sarum on 30th July. On the 9th August he commenced a week's flying in Tiger Moths and Hectors at Odiham and then went to 6 OTU Sutton Bridge on the 19th.

After converting to Hurricanes, he joined 245 Squadron at Aldergrove on 11th September, moved to 615 Squadron at Prestwick on the 18th and finally to 249 Squadron at North Weald on 1st October.

Perrin was shot down on the 12th, in combat with Me109s over Eastchurch, in Hurricane V7313. He baled out, slightly wounded, and was admitted to hospital. In November Perrin rejoined 615 Squadron, then at Northolt. During a patrol over Kent on 26th February 1941 he was again shot down. He was rested from operations and did not fly again.

Technically gifted, Perrin went on a course and qualified as a radio-electrical engineer. After the war Perrin lived in Bourges and owned a radio and television business.

After a period of ill-health, he died on 12th February 1981.


Battle of Britain Monument