Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument
The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
Site of Battleof Britain London Monument Work in Progress London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument
Battle of Britain London Monument Home    

The Airmen's Stories - Sgt. G Mitchell


George Mitchell was born in Mappowder, Dorset on 18th February 1917, the youngest of five children.

He joined the RAF as an Aircrafthand in August 1935. After basic training his first posting was 16 (Army Co-Operation) Squadron in October 1935.

He undertook further training at No.3 School of Technical Training, arriving there on 12th June 1936 before going to 2 Wing at Henlow on 18th August 1936 as a Mate/Flight Rigger.

In May 1937 he was posted to the School of Army Co-Operation at Old Sarum. While there 59 Squadron was reformed under the command of S/Ldr. J Warburton and Mitchell was posted in on 28th June 1937. He remained with 59 Squadron until 11th January 1939 when he was posted to 23 Squadron at RAF Wittering as an Air Gunner on Blenheims.



He served with 23 Squadron throughout the Battle of Britain.

Commissioned in July 1941, he was posted the following August to 1451 Flight at Hunsdon. He flew regularly with F/Lt. Alan Gawith. Gawith would later fly Mitchell to his wedding and was best man at Mitchell's wedding on 15th September 1941 for which he was presented with a cigarette case as a thank you.

Mitchell remained with 1451 Flight until March 1942 when he was posted to 116 Squadron at Hendon. In December 1942 he was posted to No. 1 Air Armament School at Manby for an Armaments Officers course.

He went back to 116 squadron in January 1943 and stayed with them until June 1943 when he was posted to 515 Squadron.

In February 1944 he was posted to No. 1 Air Gunnery School as an instructor. Between February 1944 and June 1945 he served with either No. 1 or No. 10 Air gunnery schools.

When No. 1 Air Gunnery School disbanded in June 1945 he went to 2 Air crew holding unit at Penrhos before being posted onto a course at the School of Flying Control in August 1945. Whilst on the course the war ended and all candidates were given two days off to celebrate.

He remained in the RAF post war and served in Kai Tak from October 1947 to April 1950 when he returned to the UK.

On 18th August 1950 he was posted to 50 Squadron at Waddington, moving to 57 Squadron, also at Waddington, on 13th November 1950 under the command of S/Ldr. PM Brothers.

Posted to 44 squadron on 1st February 1951, this was his last appointment before retiring on 3rd October 1953 as a Flight Lieutenant.

George Mitchell died on 16th December 1969.



Battle of Britain Monument