Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument
The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
Site of Battleof Britain London Monument Work in Progress London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument
Battle of Britain London Monument Home    

The Airmen's Stories - F/O M Jebb


Michael Jebb was born on 18th June 1918 in Chester, the younger son of Brigadier-General Gladwyn Dundas Jebb (1877-1947) and Norah May Jebb (nee Lomax 1889-1968).

The family were from Hexham in Northumberland. GD Jebb served in the Bedfordshire Regiment in the Boer War and was awarded the DSO. He served in various Quartermaster roles in WW1 and was created CMG in June 1916 and CBE in December 1919.

After the war he was at the War Office and was made CB in the King's Birthday Honours List of 1930, before retiring in March 1937.

Michael Jebb was educated at Stowe School and went on to Trinity College, Cambridge, where he read Medieval and Modern Languages.

He was a member of the University Air Squadron and was commissioned in the RAFVR on 13th September 1938.

Called up on 1st September 1939, Jebb completed his training at the RAF College FTS Cranwell (below) and joined 504 Squadron at Debden direct from FTS on 20th April 1940.




504 Squadron was sent to France on 12th May, operating from Lille/Marcq landing ground. When Lille was threatened by the German advance the squadron moved to Norrent-Fontes, near St. Omer, on 19th May and were accommodated in tents.

The next day attacks were made on enemy columns on the Cambrai - Arras road. Jebb, in Hurricane P3586, was shot down. He was wounded and admitted to hospital. F/O BEG White was shot down in the same engagement and also admitted to hospital.

504 Squadron was reduced to just four Hurricanes and withdrew to Manston, via Boulogne, later that day.

The squadron records were lost in the retreat but White is recorded as being evacuated on the last ship to leave Dieppe so it may be assumed that Jebb was also aboard. Jebb did not return to the squadron until July.

He crashed near Dartford in Hurricane N2705 on 15th September, following combat over south-east London, during which he damaged a Do17.

Jebb was admitted to Dartford Hospital with burns and died of his injuries on the 19th, aged 22.

He was cremated at Hendon Crematorium.

His parents gave his 'best blue' uniform to Sgt. RT Holmes, to wear once he was commissioned.



Below: his ashes were interred at Old Greystead Church, Tarset near Hexham.




Above images courtesy of Howard Cook.



Battle of Britain Monument