Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument
The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
Site of Battleof Britain London Monument Work in Progress London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument
Battle of Britain London Monument Home    

The Airmen's Stories - F/Lt. A Ingle


Alec Ingle, from Louth in Lincolnshire, was born on 6th February 1916 and attended Pocklington School.

He joined the RAFVR about June 1937 as an Airman u/t Pilot. He did his flying training at 4 E&RFTS Brough.

Called up at the outbreak of war, he was posted to 14 FTS Kinloss on 5th February 1940 (below).



Above images courtesy of Simon Eyre.

Ingle finished the course in mid-June 1940, was commissioned and joined 605 Squadron at Drem. In early September the squadron moved to Croydon.

On the 8th Ingle probably destroyed a Do17, on 12th October he destroyed a Me109 and on the 26th and 27th he probably destroyed two more. On the 27th he was damaged in combat with Me109s and made a forced-landing at Sewells Farm, Barcombe with cuts to the face.

On 8th November Ingle damaged a Me109 and on the 11th he claimed one as destroyed.



During November he was appointed 'B' Flight Commander and on 1st December 1940 was shot down and baled out at Hollingbourne, wounded, from Hurricane V7609.

In July 1941 Ingle was posted to 59 OTU Crosby-on-Eden as an instructor. He was awarded the AFC (gazetted 1st January 1943) and returned to operations on 5th May 1943, when he took command of 609 Squadron at Manston.

Awarded the DFC (gazetted 17th August 1943), Ingle was promoted to lead 124 Wing on 18th August.

He was shot down near Aumale, France on a Ramrod sortie on 11th September 1943. His Typhoon Ib JP436 blew up in combat with Fw190s of JG26. Ingle could not get out but the aircraft disintegrated within 300 feet of the ground. He was flung out and his parachute opened just in time.

Although burned, he stayed free for a few hours but was forced to give himself up to get medical attention. He ended up in Stalag Luft III.

Freed in May 1945, Ingle stayed on in the RAF. He retired on 6th May 1966 as a Group Captain.

Ingle died in September 1999.


Battle of Britain Monument