Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument
The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
Site of Battleof Britain London Monument Work in Progress London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument
Battle of Britain London Monument Home    

The Airmen's Stories - Sgt. H N Hoyle


Henry Nuttall Hoyle was born on 16th November 1914 in Bury, Lancashire and joined the RAF as a direct-entry Airman u/t Pilot on 29th June 1936.

He carried out his initial training at 12 E&RFTS Prestwick. He was formally enlisted in the RAF on 24th August 1936.

After a month on an induction course at No. 1 RAF Depot Uxbridge, Hoyle went to 2 FTS Digby on 24th September. He was awarded his flying badge on 2nd January 1937, completed the course and joined 103 Squadron at Usworth on 25th May.



Hoyle moved to 98 Squadron at Hucknall on 8th April 1938 and then he was posted to 226 Squadron in France on 4th September 1939.

Nine days later he joined 226 at Rheims/ Champagne, where it was part of the AASF. Its Battles were heavily involved in the fighting of May/June 1940 and were withdrawn to England on 15th June.

After two months at Sydenham, Belfast, during which time the squadron carried out some anti-submarine patrols, Hoyle volunteered to serve with Fighter Command.

On 3rd September he was posted to 32 Squadron at Acklington but moved on the 16th to 257 Squadron at Debden.

Hoyle went to 145 Squadron at Tangmere on 22nd December 1940. He was posted to CFS Cranwell on 1st January 1941 for an instructors course, after which he went to No. 1 (Polish) EFTS at Hucknall, which became 25 EFTS on 5th June 1941.

Posted to Canada on 9th September 1941, Hoyle was commissioned in October. He instructed at 37 SFTS Calgary until 10th June 1942, when he joined 133 (RCAF) Squadron at Lethbridge, Alberta.

On 10th September he went to No. 1 (Fighter) OTU at Bagotville, to instruct, and moved to 31 SFTS at Kingston, Ontario on 15th March 1943.

After returning to the UK in late January 1944, Hoyle was posted to 107 OTU at Leicester East on 11th May as an instructor.

His final posting came on 19th February 1945, when he went as Testing Officer at the Empire Central Flying School Hullavington.

Hoyle was released from the RAF in January 1946 as a Flight Lieutenant. He may have gone into civil aviation as he was awarded Aero Certificate 20833 at Prestwick on 7th January 1946.

He died in August 1992 in Blackpool.


Battle of Britain Monument