Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument
The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
Site of Battleof Britain London Monument Work in Progress London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument
Battle of Britain London Monument Home    

The Airmen's Stories - Sgt. G Hardie


Geoffrey Hardie was born on 26th April 1921 in Levenshulme, Manchester, the son of John Charles and Josephine Hardie.

His father was a commercial traveller, working in the cocoa business.

All official records show Geoffrey Hardie with one Christian name but his headstone shows two.

Hardie joined the RAFVR about July 1939 as an Airman u/t Pilot. Called up on 1st September 1939, he completed his training at 10 FTS Tern Hill and arrived at 6 OTU Sutton Bridge on 17th August 1940. He made a forced-landing in Master N7969 on 3rd September near Holbeach, as a precaution against fuel shortage.

Hardie converted to Hurricanes and joined 232 Squadron at Castletown on 22nd September. He was attached to No. 4 Delivery Flight on 7th June 1941 but rejoined 232 Squadron on the 19th, going with it to the Far East at the end of October 1941.

On 20th January 1942 Ki-21s escorted by Ki-43s attacked Seletar Airfield at Singapore. Twelve Hurricanes from 232 Squadron were scrambled to intercept and in the ensuing combat Hardie claimed two Ki-21s.

With the fall of Singapore imminent, he flew a 232 Squadron Hurricane to Sumatra on 5th February 1942 and on the 25th joined 242 Squadron at Tjilitan when 232 Squadron was disbanded.

His subsequent service is currently undocumented until 10th April 1944 when Hardie was killed in a flying accident in the UK. Master AZ725 of No 5 (P) AFU crashed on take-off from Chetwynd after hitting the wind-sock. F/O T Rutherford RCAF was also killed.

Hardie is buried at Willow Grove cemetery, Stockport.





Above images courtesy of Adrian Cork (

Battle of Britain Monument