Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument
The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
Site of Battleof Britain London Monument Work in Progress London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument
Battle of Britain London Monument Home    

The Airmen's Stories - Sgt. D G Gibbins


Dudley Guy Gibbins was born on 9th December 1919 in Haringey, London and joined the RAFVR in June 1939 as an Airman u/t Pilot and began flying at 20 E&RFTS Gravesend.

Called up at the outbreak of war, Gibbins was posted to No. 1 ITW Cambridge, moved to 5 EFTS Hanworth in November, to 3 FTS South Cerney in March 1940 and then to 7 OTU Hawarden in mid-July.

After converting to Spitfires, Gibbins joined 54 Squadron at Catterick on 10th August. After destroying a Me109 on the 31st, Gibbins was himself shot down, possibly by a Hurricane. He baled out, unhurt, and landed at Tinley Lodge, Shipbourne. His Spitfire, X4054, crashed and burned out near Great Hollanden Farm, Hildenborough.


Above: 222 Squadron at Hornchurch: 1st left Sgt. RG Marland, 2nd left Sgt. PO Davis, 4th left Sgt. Burgess, Far right Sgt. DG Gibbins


Gibbins was posted to 222 Squadron at Hornchurch on 11th September and shared in the destruction of a Me109 on 15th October.

In January 1941 he was posted to 611 Squadron at Rochford and in April went to 14 FTS Cranfield as an instructor.

In July 1941 he married Joyce Clara Gilliver in Wandsworth.

Commissioned in November 1941, Gibbins instructed at 19(P)AFU Dalcross in 1942/43 and from July 1943 until October 1944 he was at 7 FIS Upavon.

Gibbins went to 83 Group Support Unit at Westhampnett in November 1944. He joined 130 Squadron at Fassberg in May 1945 and was with the squadron for four months in Norway prior to his release in December 1945 as a Flight Lieutenant.

Gibbins died in December 1995 in Surrey.

Battle of Britain Monument