Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument
The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
Site of Battleof Britain London Monument Work in Progress London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument
Battle of Britain London Monument Home    

The Airmen's Stories - Sgt. C L M Forsyth


Colin Leo Malcolm Forsyth was born in Tauranga, New Zealand on 11th February 1914, the son of Kenneth Malcolm Forsyth and Eva Forsyth (nee Robinson).

He was educated at Te Kuiti District High School and was employed at the Oropi saw mills. Forsyth volunteered for aircrew duties in late 1939 and began his ground training at Weraroa on 12th February 1940.

He completed a Lewis gunnery course at Ohakea and sailed from Auckland for the UK in the RMS 'Rangitiki' in late April.



In mid-July Forsyth was posted to 5 OTU Aston Down and he joined 23 Squadron at Ford on 21st September 1940 as an air gunner on Blenheims. The squadron began night intruder operations in December 1940 and on 8th March 1941 Forsyth's crew damaged a He111 and a Do17.

On 26th July 1941 Forsyth suffered injuries and burns in a crash during take-off and was admitted to Margate General Hospital and, although he later rejoined the squadron, he was rested from operations.

Forsyth was posted to 418 (RCAF) Squadron on 1st December 1941, newly-formed at Debden for intruder work. From 22nd March 1942 it flew regular night sorties over the Continent, attacking strategic targets and intruding over enemy airfields.

Forsyth was awarded the DFM (gazetted 15th November 1942) and commissioned in December. He was posted to 180 Squadron at Foulsham on 5th July 1943, operating in Mitchells on daylight raids. He moved to Dunsfold on 11th March 1944 to join 98 Squadron, also flying Mitchells.

On 8th May 1944 Forsyth was one of the crew in Mitchell II FW109 'D', captained by the CO, Wing Commander RFK Bell-Irving. After attacking the target, the Mitchell had turned for home when it was hit by anti-aircraft fire. The nose was blown off, the aircraft fell from 12,000 down to 7,000 feet and then banked and crashed in flames in a field at Cambron, near Abbeville.

The whole crew, Bell-Irving, Forsyth, F/O VC Phipps and F/Sgt. KJ White were killed.

Forsyth is buried in Abbeville Cemetery, Abbeville. He was awarded the DFC (gazetted 12th April 1945)





Battle of Britain Monument