Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument
The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
Site of Battleof Britain London Monument Work in Progress London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument
Battle of Britain London Monument Home    

The Airmen's Stories - S/Ldr. M F Anderson


Michael Frederic Anderson was born on 29th April 1910 at Hitchin. A member of the Stock Exchange, he was awarded Aero Certificate 9369 at the Airwork School of Flying on 16th August 1930.

He then joined 604 Squadron Auxiliary Air Force, on 4th October 1930, and was commissioned a month later.

In the pre-war years he attended camps and courses and was serving with 23 Squadron at Biggin Hill in March 1935 and at Northolt in July 1937.



Called to full-time service on 24th August 1939, Anderson was then 'A' Flight Commander of 604. He was detached from the squadron to the AFDU at Northolt on 5th February 1940 for a ten-day course.

Anderson assumed command of 604 Squadron on 28th March 1940 and led it throughout the Battle of Britain.

On 11th August he shared in the destruction of a He59 in mid-Channel. On 30th October he flew the first ever operational patrol of a Beaufighter and in the evening of 28th November he probably destroyed a Ju88 off Warmwell.

On 20th December 1940 Anderson went to No. 1 Blind Approach School at Watchfield on No. 9 Course, rejoining 604 on 4th January 1941.

During the evening of 14th March 1941 Anderson shot down a He111 into the sea off Beer Head, in Lyme Bay.

He was awarded the DFC (gazetted 25th March 1941). The citation stated that he had carried out many night operational flights and that, in addition to the He 111, he had probably destroyed a Ju88 at night and one enemy aircraft in daylight.

In early April 1941 Anderson was posted to RAF High Ercall, to take command. After three months he went to HQ 9 Group at Preston, then to the Middle East to serve at HQ 250 Wing, Ismailia.

A series of staff appointments followed, the last being at Air HQ, Levant.



Above: his portrait was made by Cuthbert Orde.


Anderson was released from the RAF on 3rd October 1945 as a Wing Commander.

He died in 1993.



Battle of Britain Monument