The Airmen's Stories - AC1 J D Anderson
John Denis Anderson was born on 22nd April 1922 in Morpeth and joined the RAFVR at No. 3 RAF Depot Padgate on 6th June 1940.
At the end of the month he was posted to 2 Electrical and Wireless School at RAF Yatesbury, for what he expected to be the start of a WOp/AG course. Instead he found himself learning about airborne radar and in late July he was posted to 604 Squadron at Gravesend despite never having flown.
Anderson flew operationally with 604, firstly in Blenheims and then Beaufighters until December 1940, when he was posted back to Yatesbury for another radar course.
In these five months Anderson flew operationally without rank or brevet, receiving three shillings per day, which included one shilling flying pay.
In January 1941 he was posted to a radar station at Saligo, Islay, Scotland. He went to No. 1 Radio School at Cranwell in May as an instructor. Then a Corporal, he was made up to Sergeant in March 1942.
Anderson applied for pilot training and was accepted in September 1942.
In 1943 he was a deputy controller at a small radar station at Goldsborough, Yorkshire.
In September 1943 Anderson began his pilot training but he had still not qualified when training was terminated in April 1945.
He had married Jean Doreen Mary Naylor on 3rd May 1944 at St. Andrews, Cambridge.
Anderson was then posted to RAF Atherstone for a GCA course, after which he went to 10 GCA RAF Hemswell in November 1945 as a Flight Sergeant.
Commissioned from Warrant Officer in June 1955, Anderson retired from the RAF on 31st January 1973 as a Squadron Leader.
He then joined Customs and Excise and retired again on 22nd April 1984.
Anderson died on 25th April 2007.