Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument
The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
Site of Battleof Britain London Monument Work in Progress London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument
Battle of Britain London Monument Home    

The Airmen's Stories - AC2 C R Aindow


Charles Robert Aindow was born on 28th January 1914 in Ormskirk, Lancashire.

He joined the RAFVR in September 1939. He was called up on 4th June 1940 and after his basic training he applied for aircrew duties. He went to RAF Yatesbury for a short radar course, after which he was posted to 23 Squadron at Wittering in August.

Aindow carried out his first operational sortie on the 25th and flew 26 night operations during the Battle of Britain.



In March 1941 he was posted to 85 Squadron at Debden.

He married Eileen Walsh in April 1941 in Southport.

After a short navigation course at Cranage he was transferred in July to Tangmere, to serve on Turbinlite Bostons.

The aircraft were each fitted with a searchlight in the nose. On patrols the Bostons were each accompanied by two fighters. When an enemy aircraft was located, approached and illuminated, the fighters would then attack and destroy it. The scheme was eventually abandoned.

In early 1943 Aindow, then a Warrant Officer, joined 157 Squadron at Castle Camps. He flew on Mosquito night intruder patrols over the Continent, patrolling German airfields and attacking trains. In November 1943 the squadron moved to Predannack, attached to Coastal Command and flying daylight patrols down to the Bay of Biscay.

Aindow and his pilot, F/Lt. Dyke, had great success early on. On 20th November they probably destroyed a Ju88 and damaged another and on 1st December they shot down two Ju88s.

Commissioned in October 1943, Aindow was rested in February 1944 and became a navigation instructor.

He was later posted to a Radar Ground-Controlled Approach Unit as an Air Controller. The unit went to Germany and he was released from there in December 1945 as a Flight Lieutenant.

Aindow died on 3rd February 2010.


Battle of Britain Monument