Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument
The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
Site of Battleof Britain London Monument Work in Progress London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument
Battle of Britain London Monument Home    

The Airmen's Stories - P/O M H Young


Michael Hugh Young was born in Gloucester on 12th June 1920 and joined the RAF on a short service commission in February 1939.

After carrying out his training at 3 E&RFTS Hamble and 12 FTS Grantham, he joined the newly-formed 264 Squadron at Sutton Bridge on 6th November 1939.

Young teamed up with LAC SB Johnson as his gunner. On 12th May 1940 they shot down a Ju88 south of the Hague, on the 27th they shared a Me109 and a He111, on the 28th destroyed a Me109, on the 29th they destroyed a Me109 and a Me110 and shared a Me110, two Ju87s and a Ju88 and on the 31st they destroyed another Me109.


Above L to R: Young, Sgt. LP Russell.


On this day Young collided with P/O D Whitley over Dunkirk. He baled out but Johnson went into the sea with the aircraft. During 264's last spell of day-fighting Young, flying with Sgt. LP Russell, claimed a He111 destroyed on 24th August 1940.

He was awarded the DFC (gazetted 11th February 1941) and on a night intruder sortie over France on 8th May 1941 he destroyed a Me110, again flying with Russell.

After a short attachment to 1422 Flight, operating Turbinlite Havocs, Young was posted to the Middle East in September and joined 73 Squadron as a Flight Commander.

He damaged a Me109 on 14th January 1942.

On 18th May Young was given command of 213 Squadron in Egypt. He damaged a Ju88 on 5th July and damaged a Me109 on 16th September.

Tour-expired, he left 213 in October 1942 and went to 71 OTU Gordons Tree, Sudan, as an instructor. The unit moved north to Ismailia in April 1943.

Young was posted to 600 Squadron in Italy in October 1943. After short spells with 43 and 93 Squadrons, he returned to the UK in March 1944 and went to HQ West Malling. In April Young joined the staff at FTS Cranwell, remaining there until August 1945.

He was released from the RAF in 1946 as a Squadron Leader. He studied brewing at Birmingham university and worked in the beer brewing industry before retiring.

He died in January 1998.


Battle of Britain Monument