Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument
The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
Site of Battleof Britain London Monument Work in Progress London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument
Battle of Britain London Monument Home    

The Airmen's Stories - F/Lt. C A C Stone


Cedric Arthur Cuthbert Stone was born on 8th December 1916 at Amritsar, India. His father, Lt. Arthur Cuthbert Stone was killed in action serving with the 45th 'Rattrays Sikhs' Regiment on the River Hai in Mesopotamia on 1st February 1917 aged 28. He lies in Amara War Cemetery, Iraq.

CAC Stone returned to England and after a year at the College of Aeronautical Engineering, Chelsea, Stone went to Selwyn College Cambridge and joined the University Air Squadron.



He was awarded Aero Certificate 13660 at Cambridge Aero Club on 14th March 1936.

He joined the RAF on a short service commission in November 1936.




He was posted to 2 FTS Digby on 2nd February 1937 and after completing his training joined 3 Squadron at Kenley on 2nd February 1938.

He married Denise Marion Lines-Roberts in July 1939 in Bromley.

Stone went to France with the squadron on 10th May 1940. On the 12th he destroyed a Hs126 and shared in destroying two others and on the 14th he destroyed a Ju87 and a Me109.

The squadron was withdrawn to Kenley on the 25th and then went north to Wick.

Stone was awarded the DFC (gazetted 31st May 1940).

On 10th June he was posted to 263 Squadron at Drem when it was reformed after the Norwegian campaign. Stone then went to 245 Squadron at Aldergrove on 13th July as a Flight Commander. In December 1940 he joined 607 Squadron and in July 1941 took command of 17 Squadron at Elgin.

The squadron was posted to the Far East in November 1941 and in January 1942 was operational at Mingaladon in Burma. Stone destroyed a Japanese Ki21 and damaged two others on the 24th, destroyed a Ki21 at night on the 27/28th and destroyed two Army 96 bombers on the ground on 21st March.

He was awarded a Bar to the DFC (gazetted 10th April 1942).

From November 1943 until March 1944 Stone commanded 135 Squadron in India. He was released from the RAF in 1946 as a Wing Commander.

Stone decided to settle in South Africa and pursue an artistic career. He had already produced sketches of the retreat from Burma (now archived in the RAF Museum Hendon). He and his wife flew themselves to Hermanus near Cape Town in an Auster. His work consisted mostly of portrait commissions.

When they divorced in the early 60's Stone returned to Britain and continued to paint, based at a cottage at Yattendon, Berkshire provided by Lord Iliffe. A second marriage was dissolved, neither produced children.

Stone died in July 1990 in Kingsbridge, Devon.


Above: father and son are commemorated in St. Michael and All Angels Church, Stokenham, Devon.


Battle of Britain Monument