The Airmen's Stories - Sgt. E Scott
Ernest Scott was born in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire on 30th December 1917. He was educated at St Peter's School, Mansfield and St John's College, York. After leaving he worked as a fitter in an engineering works. Scott joined the RAF in 1935. He later trained as a pilot and received his wings at 15 FTS, Lossiemouth in 1938.
On 24th February 1940 Scott arrived at 12 Group Pool, Aston Down. After converting to Spitfires, he was posted to 222 Squadron at Duxford on 23rd March. He was still with the squadron at the start of the Battle of Britain. On 3rd September 1940 Scott claimed a Do17 and a Me109 destroyed, on the 5th a probable Me110 and Me109, on the 7th he destroyed a Me109, on the 9th probably destroyed another and on the 11th shot down a He111. After this engagement, Scott returned to Hornchurch with his hood shattered after an attack by a Me109.
On 27th September Scott claimed a Me109 destroyed but he himself failed to return from an operational sortie in the afternoon and was reported 'Missing'. His Spitfire, P9364, could have been that which crashed at Greenway Court Road, Hollingbourne, possibly shot down by Major Molders of JG51. Scott's name was put on the Runnymede Memorial, Panel 19, as having no known grave.
In 1975 a group of aviation archaeologists applied for permission from the Ministry of Defence to excavate the aircraft but it was refused on the grounds that the dead pilot's parents wished his body to remain with the aircraft. Further requests for permission over the years were refused. In 1990 Scott's sister and other relatives were traced. A request by them to the Ministry of Defence for a formal burial for Scott was turned down. His sister wrote to Prince Charles, asking him to intervene. A few days later the excavation was authorised and a Ministry team recovered the aircraft and Scott's remains, still in the cockpit, were positively identified.
He was buried with full military honours in Margate Cemetery, Kent on 1st February 1991.