The Airmen's Stories - Sgt. R F P Phillips
Randall Frederick Prenter Phillips joined 602 Squadron Auxiliary Air Force at Abbotsinch in June 1937 as an Aircrafthand. At the time he was employed by the National Bank of Scotland.
He later remustered as an Airman u/t Air Gunner and in April 1939, when a scheme was introduced in the Auxiliary Air Force to have NCO pilots, Phillips was among the first men to be accepted for flying training.
Above: 602 Squadron
Rear row L to R: F/O CB Willey MC (MO), P/O SN Rose, Sgt. A McDowall, F/O JS Hart,
Brazebrook (IO ?), Sgt. J Proctor, S/Ldr. AD Farquhar, Sgt. RFP Phillips, P/O A Lyall, Sgt. GA Whipps, P/O DH Gage, F/O PPC Barthropp, Taylor (? non-BoB), P/O HG Niven.
Front row L to R: F/Lt. CJ Mount, F/Lt. RF Boyd, S/Ldr. AVR Johnstone, S/Ldr. JD Urie, F/Lt. D Jack
Called to full-time service on 24th August 1939, he was posted to 7 FTS Peterborough for No. 12 Course, which ran from 9th October 1939 to 6th March 1940.
Phillips rejoined 602 at Drem on 18th March and he served with the squadron throughout the Battle of Britain. Commissioned in February 1942, Phillips moved to 3 (P) AFU at Lulsgate Bottom in June, later moving with the unit to South Cerney.
Phillips returned to Lulsgate Bottom in October 1943, when he was made an instructor at 7 FIS.
He was released from the RAF in September 1945 as a Flight Lieutenant.
Phillips died on 28th March 1998.