The Airmen's Stories - Sub/Lt. (FAA) W J M Moss
William James March Moss was born on 31st October 1917. He joined the Fleet Air Arm on 3rd July 1939 and did his initial training at HMS President, Frobisher and St.Vincent. He then commenced flying training at 14 EFTS Castle Bromwich, going on to 7 FTS at Peterborough where he gained his wings on 17th March 1940.
Moss left 7 FTS on 26th May and was then attached to the RAF, being sent to convert to Hurricanes at 7 OTU Hawarden on 15th June. He was posted to 213 Squadron at Exeter on 1st July 1940.
Moss was lost on 27th August when Hurricane N2336 came down in the sea, cause unknown, on a routine patrol.
His body was not recovered and he is commemorated on the FAA Memorial, Lee-on-Solent.