Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument
The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
Site of Battleof Britain London Monument Work in Progress London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument
Battle of Britain London Monument Home    

The Airmen's Stories - F/Lt. T H T Forshaw


Terence Henry Trimble Forshaw was born on 29th August 1916 and joined the RAF on a short service commission and began his flying training on 17th August 1936. He was posted to 5 FTS Sealand on 31st October, completed his training and joined 73 Squadron at Digby on 30th June 1937.

He moved to the SHQ staff at Digby on 2nd February 1939.

Forshaw was posted from RAF Digby on 1st September 1939 and was appointed to the staff of 70 Wing, then about to go to France.

When the Wing was withdrawn from France in June 1940, Forshaw was still with it. It arrived at Gatwick and on 2nd July 1940 the Wing was redesignated HQ RAF Gatwick.

Forshaw assumed the duties of Station Gas Officer on 16th July, became Adjutant, Gatwick on the 29th and assumed duties of President of the Service Institute, Gatwick on the 30th.

He relinquished the Station Gas Officer duty on 6th August and the duties of PSI and Transport Officer on 12th August when he was attached to RAF Odiham to supervise flying discipline of Free French personnel who were with No. 1 Fighter Training Squadron of the Free French Air Force there.

Forshaw's attachment ceased on his being posted to 7 OTU Hawarden where he converted to Spitfires before joining 19 Squadron at Fowlmere on 2nd September 1940.

He moved to 616 Squadron at Coltishall on the 5th and finally joined 609 Squadron at Middle Wallop on the 9th. Forshaw damaged a Do17 on the 26th, claimed a Me109 destroyed on the 27th and probably destroyed a Me110 on 7th October 1940. He was appointed a Flight Commander on 29th November and was rested in April 1941.

His cousin, S/Ldr. Roger Gatty Forshaw, was serving with 603 Squadron when he was sent on a night interception on 18th December 1941. His Spitfire P8796 crashed into the sea off Newburn, Scotland and he was killed. He is commemorated on panel 28 of the Runnymede Memorial.

Terence Forshaw's subsequent service is currently undocumented, though he is recorded as instructing on Lancasters with 1660 HCU at Swinderby in 1944, until 29th November 1957 when Forshaw retired from the RAF as a Squadron Leader.

He is recorded on 18th December 1957 as boarding the Braemar Castle for Cape Town with eventual destination Rhodesia.

Battle of Britain Monument