The Airmen's Stories - Sgt. D C Cooper
Douglas Clifford Cooper was born in Hockley, Essex on 28th July 1917 and educated at Hockley Council School. After leaving he went to work as a butcher.
In April 1939 he joined the Aircraft Crew Section of the RAFVR at Southend as an Airman u/t WOp/AG.
Called up on 1st September 1939, Cooper joined 235 Squadron at Manston in October. In February 1940 he was sent for further training to No. 2 Electrical and Wireless School and he rejoined 235, then at Bircham Newton, on 13th August.
Cooper went to 272 Squadron on 26th November 1940. When the squadron was re-equipped with Beaufighters the air gunners were posted away and Cooper joined 240 Squadron at Stranraer on 22nd March 1941, a Catalina unit.
On 1st September 1942 he went to 205 Squadron, again on Catalinas, and completed his first tour.
Commissioned in June 1943, Cooper returned to operations on 9th May 1944 and was posted to 230 Squadron, equipped with Sunderland flying boats, as Signals Leader.
He left the squadron on 10th December 1945 but stayed in the RAF, going on 6th May 1946 to 4 (Coastal) OTU, again as Signals Leader.
Cooper later served with 206 and 99 Squadrons and when he retired from the RAF in 1954 he was a Flight Lieutenant, Signals leader with 192 Squadron at Watton.
Cooper settled in Western Australia.
He died there on 7th August 2006.