Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument
The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
Site of Battleof Britain London Monument Work in Progress London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument
Battle of Britain London Monument Home    

The Airmen's Stories - Sgt. M Cameron


Matthew Cameron from Ballinrees, near Coleraine, Northern Ireland joined the RAF in 1934 as an Aircrafthand. He later applied for pilot training and was accepted. By early 1940 he was serving with 66 Squadron at Duxford.

On 20th August Cameron claimed the destruction of a Me110, on 27th September a Ju88 and on 14th November a probable Ju87.



On 17th December Cameron was posted to CFS Upavon.

Cameron was commissioned in March 1941. He joined 609 Squadron at Manston on 27th January 1943 and despite having only 1hr 55 minutes on Typhoons, flew an operational sortie on 5th February.

During his time with 609 he was credited with damaging ships and barges in offensive 'Rhubarb' sweeps over France & Belgium. In May 1943 he was promoted to Flight Lieutenant and on 14th May he was transferred to 198 Squadron as a Flight Commander, also flying Typhoons.

He stayed with 198 Squadron until 23rd August when he was posted to HQFC as a supernumerary.

He went to Eglinton on 2nd September1943 to 275 Squadron flying Avro Ansons on Air Sea Rescue. On 27th January 1944 he went to 'B' Flight at RAF Andreas on the Isle of Man.

On 25th April 1944, 275 Squadron moved to Warmwell to cover the sea area between England and Normandy. Cameron went back to flying Spitfires to protect the Supermarine Walrus seaplanes that rescued airmen who had crashed or parachuted into the sea.

On 25th September 1944 Cameron was transferred as Flight Commander to 12 Air Gunnery School at Bishops Court, 25 miles from Belfast.

Before being released from the RAF in 1945 as a Flight Lieutenant he served as a flight commander at 12 Air Gunnery School at Bishops Court in County Down.



His portrait was made by Cuthbert Orde (below).

The London Gazette records that he resigned his commission on 20th September 1969. This implies that he must have rejoined the RAF or served in some sort of reserve capacity.

Cameron died on 16th September 1995 aged 79 and is buried in Ballymoney Cemetery, County Antrim, Northern Ireland.




Battle of Britain Monument